How GPS Vehicle Tracking System Works?
- November 30, 2017 /
- Software Development
GPS vehicle tracking system has become one of the vital parts of our day to day life. Where most of the devices now come with GPS tracking facility, the demand for effective GPS tracking systems have increased. The core of any tracking system is the Global Position System (GPS) that works through a collaboration of 24 satellites and their respective ground stations. The GPS is mainly funded by the US Department of Defence (DOD) and was initially designed for the use of US Military. Now, it has been widely used by local users across the globe. When a GPS system is incorporated in a vehicle it is termed as GPS Vehicle Tracking system.
So, with whatever we associate a GPS device, it becomes a tracking system for that particular thing. Global Positioning System tracking is a method of detecting where something is exactly. Nowadays, it is used in fleet management systems to help business owners in managing the vehicles in an effective manner.
How GPS Vehicle Tracking System Works?
1. A GPS tracking system uses Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) network that incorporates a range of satellites. These group of satellites uses microwave signals that are sent to the GPS devices. These signals carry the information like vehicle speed, location, time and direction. With the help of a GPS vehicle tracking software, an individual can get the information on real-time basis along with historic navigation data on any king of route. The signals are processed by a receiver that capture the information and compute vehicle velocity and time.
2. The position of a vehicle can be also computed in a three-dimensional views with the help of four GPS satellite signals. There are 27 Earth-orbiting GPS satellites in the Space Segment of the Global Positioning System with 3 extra satellites. These 3 satellites act as a backup in case if any does not work. They move around the Earth and send signals at 12 hours from space that are received by GPS receiver.
3. To control Positioning System, there are different tracking stations that are located across the globe. These monitoring stations assist in tracking signals from the GPS satellites that are revolving around the earth on a consistent basis. The GPS receivers convert the signals received by the satellites in order to determine the actual position, time and velocity of the vehicle. The overall operation is based on the principle called Trilateration. There are two types of Trilateration which include 2-D Trilateration and 3-D Trilateration.
4. For GPS receiver to make calculations, it must know the location of the place that needs to be traced by at least three satellites and the second should be the distance between the place and each of those satellites. The units with multiple receivers pick up signals from several GPS satellites at the same time. These are the radio waves that are basically electromagnetic energy that travels at the speed of light. There are different ways in which a GPS device works. If it is being used as a commercial vehicle tracking system then the overall function is to record the position of vehicles as they complete their journey.
5. There are few systems that store data within the GPS tracking system itself while some send the information to a centralized database or system via a modem within the GPS system unit in a consistent manner or 2-Way GPS. If there is a passive GPS tracking system then it will monitor the location and store data simultaneously on the basis of certain types or events. This type of data is stored on either a memory card or internal memory of the device. In few cases, this data can be sent automatically for wireless download at predetermined points/times or one can request it on specific points while completing the journey.
An active GPS system is also termed as a real-time system as it sends the information automatically on the GPS system to a central tracking portal or on a system that monitors in real-time. It helps in monitoring the behaviour of drivers and useful for the insurance portals to frame policies accordingly. It also act helpful for the fleet managers that have to keep a close check on the fleet in an effective manner.